My Blog List

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

White Balance is Important in Photography

As you all know I am going away starting Sunday, and this trip is going to be photographed to the hilt, why??? cuz I am the photo queen, on my computer right now I have ONLY 78,010 photos, how do I know I just checked !

Ok today I want to talk about white balance and how important it is in photography.When I got my new camera it was a pain in the butt to me to have to set the white balance, I really didn't think it was important but low and behold through trial and error I have discovered all on my own that it is very important.

I can't tell you how to set it on your camera,you have to check your owners manual,and its not on all camera's either,kinda depends on each model.

But I can tell you that when you do it properly you get a better picture, and please do it in the room you are taking the picture or even outside it still important for a better picture.

In an ordinary room they call the lighting from light bulbs tungsten lighting, it is orange, even tho you don't see it that way, your brain will not let you see the orange it color corrects itself,but your camera is not as smart as your brain and won't automatically do it for you.You have to set the white balance you do this by finding a white piece of paper and finding your WB on the camera ,press the button voila your ready to take a picture.

Now I will show you the difference in a couple of pictures I took, the subject matter is not important I just want you to see the of the before and after effect.Do you see the orange color, its called tungsten lighting, this picture was taken at my daughter's apartment of her little cat Freda, in her favourite brussel sprout box,poor little thing is orange!!!

Here is the correction when I discovered my first picture was too orange I did a white balance and little Freda is black and white not orange.
I just wanted to show you something I learned with my new camera,not all cameras are the same, with some you dont set it, its done for you, not much to do there,but if you have the option on your camera use it!

17 comments:

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

I hope you have the best time on your vacation, I know it can be exciting, can't wait to see all the pictures.
Hugs,
Bonnie

Gill - That British Woman said...

I can't believe you have all those photos. How are they stored on your computer..............do you use a special programme?

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

She looks much better black and white!

Nola said...

I bow down to you, oh Photographic Goddess! I don't think I've ever known anyone that organized, to have THAT many photos on the computer. How long do you think it took to accomplish that? I am trying to get all my parents' photos from 1940 and earlier scanned into mine, but it is a long slow task.
Hope you have a great vacation, can't wait to see the photos when you get home. Post them on Flickr, or some similar media so we can view them!

Alisa Noble said...

Hi Diane! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the tussie mussie love. :)
Have a wonderful time on your trip... sounds like fun!
Alisa

Alexandra MacVean said...

Good morning. I hope you have a good time on your vacation. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't believe you've amassed that many photos! And I didn't know you were so good with the camera knowledge! But I certainly thank you for letting me know something I didn't before you wrote this! How enlightening! I just point and shoot! Don't know if I can figure out just what you did. But I'm going to try.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.

You are giving excellent advice about white balance. It makes an unbelievable difference.

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Sweet Diane!

Dropping by to say hello...hello dear!

Happy vacation!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Kelli said...

My husband always does white balance on his camera, too. I hope you have a wonderful vacation!
~Kelli

Alice said...

Wow, the difference is amazing. Thank you so much for the tip. I can't set that on my current camera but I hope to get a new one soon.

Have a great trip!

Linda said...

Good morning Diane...what a difference. For my birthday I received a new camera...(suppose to be easy to use)and I love it.I'm reading the manuals and practicing shots as I read. This is a great tip and I'll have to check and see if I have this feature.

Your trip is fast approaching...it is going to be wonderful. Have a happy day. Hugs, Linda

Ann said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog, I love a new visitor.
Have a great trip.

Alexandra MacVean said...

Just stopping by to say hello! :)

Brenda said...

Don't you just love photography?

Thanks for dropping by my blog today, hope you'll visit again!

Catty Wampus said...

Have fun on holiday! I lived in Ontario for a few years, but never made it to QC ; I love all things Canadian; my oldest bully was born there ( we lived in Burlington) I am a crafter,quilter, thrifter; love your finds! Please visit my blog when you have a moment; Merrie @wheretheblackbirdssing.blogspot.com ( I am placing you on my blog list)

Anonymous said...

That's amazing. I have that option on my camera but never knew how to use it. Thanks!